A chicken casserole without processed ingredients. How can this be? Copy & make my recipe. So healthy & no one (even your kids) will miss the fat & sodium of traditional casseroles.
1 Family package boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 breasts) Reserve 1/2 cup chicken broth
1 Package Frozen steam ready chopped Broccoli florets (or 1 large bunch fresh broccoli steamed and chopped)
1 pack of Success 10 minute boil rice (white or brown)
1/2 cup water chestnuts (if desired)
1 1/2 cups skim milk
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 package fresh mushrooms, chopped
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
3 Tbsp.plain yogurt
6-8 slices reduced fat cheese (I use Sargento mozzarella)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1. Cook chicken in pressure cooker 13 minutes, or boil chicken 20 min. Cut/shred chicken to bite size pieces. Cook rice bag in saucepan 10 min. Microwave broccoli bag or steam fresh large bunch & chop.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13x2 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken, broccoli, rice, & water chestnuts to pan. Stir together.
3. In a lage saucepan combine milk and cornstarch with a metal whisk over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until thick. Add some reserved chicken broth and cornstarch to sauce as it thickens. Stir until just slightly thick. Remove from heat. Add mushrooms, lemon juice and yogurt to sauce. Mix sauce with rice, broccoli, & chestnut mixture in baking pan .
4. Place cheese slices cut in 1/2 on top of casserole. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake in preheated oven 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
*Add cooked carrots, peas or asparagus for an extra veggie punch*
* I double/eyeball extra ingredients to have plenty of leftovers*